Friday, October 1, 2021

In Which I Write A Story for #FallWritingFrenzy 2021

 #FallWritingFrenzy is a fun writing contest created by agent/author Kaitlyn Sanchez and author Lydia Lukidis. You can read more about this year's contest here. I first heard about #FallWritingFrenzy last fall, but I wasn't brave enough to try to attempt to write anything. This year I decided to give it a go. The rules are that you choose a fall themed picture from a series of photos and write a story of no more than 200 words that's inspired by it. The story can be for picture book age all the way up to young adult. Because middle grade is my heart, of course I created a story for that age group. My daughter attends a Spanish immersion school and I'm a former Spanish teacher, so the picture that immediately caught my eye was a Dia de los muertos ofrenda. The picture and story are below.


Dia de los muertos/ Melinda Young Stewart- Bing


Homecoming


I knew most of my classmates were making ofrendas for their dead dogs. Or maybe their grandparents. I was the only one remembering my twin.


I hid it in my closet. I knew Mom and Dad wouldn’t approve. They don’t like anything that reminds them of her.


Mom hid all her pictures, but I unearthed the box from under a pile of old clothes in the attic - her clothes?


I added her favorite stuffed cat - I'd put it at the back of my closet when Dad boxed up her toys- along with some candy corn and black licorice. Gross, but she loved them.


Before I left to trick or treat I added the most important thing - her pink ukulele. She learned when we were five. She used to play me to sleep with it and wake me in the morning with a tune. 


I fell asleep that night dreaming of my sister. In the morning soft notes awoke me. She sat on the edge of my bed, strumming her ukulele and chewing on a licorice strand. Still ten years old. Forever ten. 


“Finally!” she said. “I’ve been trying to get through for three years.”


“Welcome home, Petra.” I smiled.




4 comments:

  1. Wow, you do a great job getting us into your MCs mind and feelings.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a sweet ending! I love it! To speak with a lost sibling again...precious. Good luck! --Melisa Wrex @mowrex(Twitter)

    ReplyDelete
  3. order of books You made such an interesting piece to read, giving every subject enlightenment for us to gain knowledge. Thanks for sharing the such information with us to read this...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really loved reading your blog. It was very well authored and easy to undertand. Unlike additional blogs I have read which are really not tht good. I also found your posts very interesting. In fact after reading. I had to go show it to my friend and he ejoyed it as well! report代写

    ReplyDelete

In Which I Review My Year in Reading

 I'm done pretending I'm going to update this blog monthly. I'll check in when I'm inspired and have something to say. Maybe...