Tuesday, February 1, 2022

In Which I Enter the Kids Choice Kidlit Writing Contest


I had a lot of fun entering the Halloween themed 200 word story contest back in the fall, so when I heard about this one I decided to throw something together for it, too. Plus, quite a few of my #MGWaves friends entered, and it's hard to fight peer pressure even at 46. 😂 You can read all the stories, including mine, here on Kailie Pew's blog, but I decided to post my story on my own blog as well. It's a short little PB idea I got when a chipmunk stole part of my lunch while I was hiking last summer. PBs aren't what I normally write and I'd never done anything with the idea, so I decided to roll with it. Maybe some kids will fall in love with it.


                                                                The Apple

Petra set her apple down for one second, just long enough for the chipmunk to grab it.

How unlucky could she get?


Chippy couldn’t believe his luck. A whole apple to himself! How would he get it into his den?

Chippy rolled it up to hole and pushed. 


“I’ll help you with that,” Redbud the squirrel said.

Redbud grabbed the apple… and ran up a tree!


Redbud couldn’t believe his luck. A whole apple to himself!

How would he get it into his nest hole?

He lined it up and pushed.


Poe the raven landed next to him. “I’ll help you with that.” He grabbed the apple in his beak

and took off!


Poe couldn’t believe his luck. A whole apple to himself!

As he flew over the creek he spotted Harry the red-tailed hawk. Harry dived.

Poe let out a screech and dropped the apple, soaring away.


The apple dropped into the creek as Petra hiked past. No way!

She took it out and dried it on her shirt.


“Would you like my apple?” she asked her brother. 


He grabbed it and took a huge bite. Petra burst out laughing.

“Wait till you hear where that apple has been!”

No comments:

Post a Comment

In Which I Review My Year in Reading

 I'm done pretending I'm going to update this blog monthly. I'll check in when I'm inspired and have something to say. Maybe...